Kodi is an award-winning media player that provides users with access to a plethora of features that make it much easier for them to stream their favorite movies and TV shows. What’s great about Kodi is that it doesn’t cost a single dime to use and also that it is a cross-platform media player. This means that you can install Kodi on any device, including Firestick devices.
You don’t need to be tech-savvy to use Kodi to its full potential because the media player is equipped with a user-friendly interface and an intuitive navigation system.
Even though Kodi’s media features are the reason why it’s so popular on Windows, Android, and Firestick devices, this is not the only benefit that the media player brings. Streaming enthusiasts can also use Kodi to access content directly over the local network. Therefore, it shouldn’t come as a surprise to find out that Kodi’s popularity has skyrocketed during this past couple of years, especially when considering that it can be installed even on the cheapest Fire TV models.
We are aware that most people don’t know their way around software and APKs. This is why today; we are going to help you install Kodi on Firestick. This is possible through a method called sideloading, and if you are not familiar with it, then you don’t need to worry because we have your back! We will present the installation guide in a step-by-step manner so that you don’t have any problems following it.
Kodi on Firestick – What Does it Offer?
The first thing that you will notice after installing Kodi on your Firestick device is that it doesn’t look like any other media player. This is actually because Kodi is much more than a simple media player. Instead, it acts as a full-fledged operating system that focuses on bringing the latest movies and TV shows to smart TVs.
What makes Kodi stand out the most when compared to other media players is the incredible number of customization options it provides to users. You can change almost everything, starting with color schemes and the functionalities of buttons.
Playing local content from networks that are attached to a file server is Kodi’s biggest strength, but the media player’s capabilities don’t end here. You can also install addons that will take the performances of the media player to the next level.
The addons are what make Kodi so popular because they can also provide access to premium content that is usually not available without paying a subscription first. If you are worried that you don’t know where to get addons from, you should be pleased to know that the official repository that Kodi offers contains more than 950 addons (shown below)!
If by any chance, you don’t find anything interesting in the official Kodi addon repository, you can always go ahead and visit third-party repositories where you can access even more addons that will provide you with access to content that you never imaged you could get for free. To make things even better, you can even use emulators with Kodi to access retro games from renowned publishes such as Atari, Sony, Nintendo, Doom, and SEGA, among others.
We think it’s safe to say that all Firestick users like to watch their favorite movies and TV shows in the highest resolution possible so that they can be more immersed. Kodi doesn’t disappoint when it comes to picture quality because it can playback up to 4K Ultra HD content. The only requirement is to have access to a stable internet connection so that your device can handle all the premium channels that support features such as HDR10, Dolby Vision (video enhancements), HLG, Dolby Atmos, and Dolby Digital Plus.
The last feature that we want to highlight is Kodi’s PVR support. Thanks to add-ons, you can install the PVR IPTV Simple Client from the official repository and make Kodi run as a PVR client. This works by loading the M3U playlist and streaming local television channels directly on your Firestick device. With that being said, let’s go ahead and check out what are the top 5 features that Kodi brings to Firestick.
Top 5 Features Kodi Brings to Firestick
- The user interface is customizable;
- It supports parental controls;
- The media player works perfectly with the Firestick TV remote;
- The display refresh rate is adjustable;
- You can playback media files from both local and remote servers.
How to Install Kodi on Firestick
Right from the start, we want to mention that Kodi is not available to download from the Amazon Appstore. Despite still being listed on the Google Play Store, Amazon decided to remove Kodi from its own app store because it “facilitated piracy and illegal downloads.” On the bright side of things, there is an alternative method. The media player can be sideloaded directly on the Firestick device. Check out the installation guide below:
Enable App Sideloading on Firestick
In order for sideloading to work, you are required to enable a special option in your Firestick device’s Settings panel. Here’s how to do it:
- Access the Settings panel on Firestick;
- Select Device & Software;
- Next, search for My Fire TV or Device;
- Now, you can go ahead and access the Developer Options tab;
- Select the Apps from Unknown Sources option;
- Click Turn On (shown below).
Install Downloader on Firestick
Downloader is a third-party app that is required to sideload APK files on Firestick. The app is free to download, and it can be downloaded directly from the Amazon Appstore. Follow the steps below:
- Access the Search Bar (magnifying glass icon);
- Type in “Downloader”;
- Click on Downloader in the search bar (shown below);
- Head over to the Apps & Games section and select Downloader;
- The final step is to click again on the Get/Download option.
Install the Kodi APK on Firestick
After enabling the “Unknown Sources” option and installing the Downloader app on Firestick, the final step is to manually download and install the latest APK version of Kodi.
- Launch the Downloader app from the home screen;
- Select Allow to give Downloader the permission to download and install files on Firestick;
- Click on the Home option in Downloader;
- The next step is to click on the URL bar and type in the following link https://bit.ly/3okVX1A;
- Select Go, and the download will start;
- After the latest Kodi APK finishes downloading, Downloader will automatically launch the installer. You need to click on Install to confirm the process;
- Wait for the installation process to finish and click Done. You also need to click Delete in the dialogue box to make sure that Downloader doesn’t keep the Kodi APK file.
Now that Kodi has been installed on your Firestick device, you can go ahead and launch it by accessing the Your Apps & Channels tab. Make sure to fully expand the list by clicking on See All if Kodi doesn’t show up in the first couple of apps.
We also want to mention that the developers who are in charge of Kodi are constantly publishing updates for the media player. Therefore, you might want to occasionally check a new and improved Kodi APK file has been listed for download.
Install Kodi on Firestick via ES File Explorer
If you feel like there are too many steps to follow when installing the latest APK version of Kodi, you can always try the alternative installation method via ES File Explorer. On the downside of things, the required ES File Explorer features for the installation are not available for free. You need to pay a monthly subscription of $9.99 or use the 7-day free trial. Nonetheless, here is how you can do it:
- Access the Settings panel on the Fire TV home screen;
- Select My TV or Device/Device & Software (depending on your Fire TV’s software version);
- Select Developer Options;
- Select Apps from Unknown Sources and then click on Turn On;
- Launch ES File Explorer on your Firestick;
- Access the Tools option from the sidebar;
- Select Downloader Manager and then click on +New;
- Open the Path field and type in the following link https://bit.ly/3okVX1A;
- Name the APK file and click on Download Now;
- Wait for the download to finish and then click Open File;
- Click Install twice to confirm that you want to install Kodi;
- Once the installation of Kodi finishes, you need to click on Done to be redirected to the ES File Explorer window and get rid of the APK file.
Kodi is now available on your Firestick device, and you can access it directly from the Your Apps & Channels tab.
Install Kodi on Firestick via Appstarter
The final method to install Kodi on Firestick is possible via Appstarter. This is an open-source app launcher that makes it possible for Firestick users to access the latest Kodi APK file. Check out the guide below:
- Launch the Downloader app from the home screen;
- Select the URL box and type in the following link https://bit.ly/3iD0KI5;
- Click GO to start the download for the latest Appstarter APK file;
- After the APK file finished downloading, you can go ahead and click Install in the Android installer window that pops up;
- Once the installation process is over, click Open to launch Appstarter;
- Head over to the Updates panel of the app and click on the Install option located next to Kodi (shown below);
Appstarter will automatically download the latest version of Kodi and install it on your Firestick device. It’s also highly advisable to check the Updates panel from time to time and to click on Check for Update to make sure that you are using the best version of Kodi.
If you enjoy watching entertaining content on your Firestick device, you are going to love Kodi, and there is no doubt about that. The large number of features and addons that Kodi offers makes it one of the best apps you can install on Firestick.
Leave a Reply