When most people think about streaming platforms, they think of Netflix. This ever-growing company has made a name for itself as a reliable provider of entertaining content. The VOD app is equipped with thousands of titles, some better known than others, and it benefits from constant new releases. The Netflix platform is available on many devices, including Amazon streaming devices such as Firestick, Fire TV Cube, Fire TV Edition Smart TVs, and Soundbars.
The main benefit of watching original content from Netflix and similar services is that you can binge-watch an entire season in one day, so you do not have to wait in anticipation like with TV series. If you want to learn how to install and activate this application on your Firestick, keep on reading to get our detailed step-by-step guide. Keep tuned to discover a few quick fixes for when Netflix encounters an unexpected error.
Overview of Netflix on Firestick
Netflix is a streaming platform that offers video-on-demand for people all over the world. They have original shows that have become very popular on their platform, but they also include in their library a large number of third-party movies and series.
The service offers three types of packages priced from as low as $7.99 per month to a maximum of $13.99 for the Premium variant. Regardless of which one suits your needs best, you will still get access to flagship shows such as Peaky Blinders, Ozark, Money Heist, Bridgeton, Stranger Things, Lucifer, The Crown, Outer Banks, and many more.
Interestingly enough, in the last few years, Netflix has shown an interest in creating and hosting many Anime shows as well. So if you are a fan of this Japanese media, you will be pleased to know you can find shows on Netflix. Here are some great titles Howl’s Moving Castle, The Seven Deadly Sins, My Hero Academia, Evangelion, Spirited Away, Violet Evergarden, and others.
From Drama and Reality-TV to Comedy Specials and Sci-Fi shows, Netflix is one of the biggest libraries of content that you can stream online.
Reasons to Install Netflix on Firestick
- The subscription fee is cheap compared to other OTT and VOD platforms, and it offers access to thousands of hours of quality content;
- You receive a 30 day free trial to decide if their content is worth the monthly payment;
- You can choose to add multiple sub-accounts with different viewing history and preferences;
- You can see content in HD and Ultra HD resolution, depending on your subscription plan;
- You get a vast variety of content in different languages, with English dubbing available;
- You get a long list of subtitle options on most of their content, and English is always an available option;
- You get access to many popular movies and series, both Netflix originals and third-party shows.
Access New Netflix Content with VPN
Netflix offers different content depending on the country or region you are living in. This is because of legality reasons since they only have broadcast rights in certain areas of the world.
With that being said, you might still want ad-free access to a new show that is available on their app in another country. A workaround for this issue is using a VPN service. A virtual private network will mask your location and will connect you to a server in your country of choice.
There are many VPN services out there, some more trusted than others. However, only a few manage to fool the security measures of Netflix. We recommend taking a look at ExpressVPN and IPVanish VPN, which are currently still effective in changing your Netflix location.
Installation Guide for Netflix on Firestick
Netflix is a reputable streaming platform that is available on all official application stores, including Amazon’s Appstore. Therefore, the installation process is fairly easy to perform. All you need to do is follow these steps:
- On your Fire TV home screen, look for a magnifying glass button at the top of your screen. Highlight it to open up the Search section of the operating system;
- Here, you can either use the on-screen keyboard and your remote to type in Netflix or just take advantage of the Alexa voice search option;
- The OS will provide you with a few search suggestions. Click on the one that says precisely “Netflix”;
- Look for the Netflix logo under the Apps & Games category, then click on it to open the description page;
- Select the Get or Download button to begin the installation process.
Once you have Netflix on your Firestick, you can either click on Open to launch it immediately or exit the page. At a later date, you can look for this streaming platform in the Your Apps & Channels menu available on the home screen of your Fire TV OS. In case the app is not available in the first few results, you can click on See All to view the complete list of applications on your Firestick.
Alternative Installation Method for Netflix on Firestick
Let’s say you have an issue with installing Netflix from the Amazon Appstore, but you cannot wait to see what the streaming platform has to offer. Even though this is not likely to happen, we want to prepare you for any circumstance.
There is an alternative installation technique that you can use that requires a few more steps. This method implies downloading the latest APK file for Netflix and sideloading it on your Firestick. You will have to first allow installation of third-party apps on your device, then get a Downloader app from the Appstore, and later on, download and install the APK file.
Even though this seems more difficult, we are here to guide you through every step. Just follow our lead, and we will get your Netflix app up and running in no time.
#1 Enable ‘Apps from Unknown Sources’ on Firestick
- From your Fire TV home screen, go to the Settings menu. Here, you will find a section either called Device & Software, Device, or My Fire TV. Click on it to move on to the next step;
- From this sub-menu, click on Developer, then on ADB Debugging;
- In this last section, you will notice a feature called Apps from Unknown Sources. You will need to turn on this option in order to successfully install Netflix through an APK file;
#2 Install Downloader on Firestick
- After you go through the first set of steps, return to your Fire TV home screen. Click on the Search icon placed in the top-left corner of your screen;
- Type in Downloader or use the voice search option available through the microphone button on your remote;
- Select the search suggestion that says exactly “Downloader” to see the search results;
- Under Apps & Games, you will find this app with an orange logo. Click on it to open the description page;
- Click on Get or Download to install this app onto your device.
#3 Sideload Netflix on Firestick
- Open up Downloader and accept their request for access to your device’s storage capacity;
- On a separate device with a browser, search for the latest Netflix APK file from a trusted provider. Shorten the link for easier input into the Downloader app;
- Type the link into the URL bar on the home screen of Downloader and click Go;
- Wait for the download to finish and click on Install when the Android Installer pops up. Once you are done with the installation process, you can choose to delete the APK file to save space on your Firestick.
Setup Guide for Netflix on Firestick
Regardless of which installation method works for you, you will have to set up your app before using it. In order to get access to all of the Netflix content, you will need an account on their platform.
This account will help you choose the type of subscription you want, and it will keep track of your viewing history. Netflix is well known for its highly accurate recommendation software. Therefore, you will get to discover many new shows that fit your viewing preferences.
If you have already bought your subscription and set up your account, you can move further down to the second step, which is the activation of your Netflix application.
#1 Create a new Netflix Account
● On a secondary device, like a computer or a smartphone, go to Netflix’s website. On the homepage, you will see a promo page that tells you you can try the service for 30 days free of charge;
● Enter the email address you would like this account to be linked to, then click on the red button that either says Try 30 Days Free or Sign In;
● Netflix will ask you for some key details about your account and then will tell you to set up a strong password. Follow the instructions from the website in order to arrive at the Select plan page;
● On this section of the website, you can take a look at the features included in the three plans Netflix has Basic, Standard, and Premium. Based on your device and content preferences, choose the best option for you;
● After you have made your decision, the website will ask you to select a payment method. Keep in mind that while the first 30 days are free, afterward you will give automated monthly payments to this service. You can cancel your subscription at any time from your account settings. Choose Credit, Debit, or PayPal and introduce your payment information;
● Select Finish to create your account and move on to the second part of the activation process.
#2 Activate Netflix on Firestick
● Open Netflix from Your Apps & Channels, as previously described in this article;
● Click on Sign In to enter your account credentials;
● Fill in the email address and password associated with your account;
● Afterward, Netflix will take you through some additional steps to get a gauge on your content preferences and improve your viewing experience. Just follow along to get access to their full library of VOD.
Quick Fixes for Netflix Issues on Firestick
Since Netflix is such a large company, they rarely have major issues with their platform. However, there are times when a simple error (“Netflix encountered an error“) appears on screen, restricting your access to their content. There are three easy fixes that will more than likely fix this problem, so here is what you need to do:
#1 Check your Fire TV OS Version
Applications are made to work on the latest update of an operating system. This is why you might encounter some issues when trying to run Netflix on an older version of Fire TV OS. Our first course of action would be to look for the newest update and give it time to download and install before running Netflix again. Go through these steps:
● From your home screen, go to the Settings menu;
● Here, you will find a sub-menu called System. Click on it to move further;
● In the About section, you will see a button that says Install System Update. Press on it for the download to take place automatically;
● Afterward, launch Netflix again and check if it works.
#2 Uninstall and Reinstall Netflix on Firestick
In rare cases, the installation process does not go through properly, leaving behind some important files. When this happens, even though the system says the installation was successful, your app will not work properly. An easy way to solve this is to uninstall Netflix and go through the installation guide once again. Here is how you can delete the app:
● From the same Settings menu found on your home screen, go to Applications;
● Scroll to find Manage Installed Applications and click on this option;
● Look for Netflix and click on it to see further options of this app;
● Select Uninstall.
#3 Verify your Internet Router
If you have the latest version of the operating system and your app has worked before, then the two fixes above do not help you out. In this scenario, the error is most likely caused by an internet connection issue.
The easiest way to solve this is by unplugging your router, waiting for 30 seconds, then plugging it in again. Your internet connection will restart, and your Netflix app should be back to normal.
A streaming device like Firestick gives you access to many apps with quality on-demand content, one of which is Netflix. This popular streaming app has millions of users all over the world and can easily be installed on Firestick using one of the two methods described above. In today’s article, you can find details about the features of the Netflix app, as well as some easy fixes to common problems for Netflix on Firestick. With this detailed guide, you are all set up to use Netflix successfully on your Fire TV device!