Are you tired of using the same old Firestick launcher? While the built-in Firestick launcher is equipped with a bundle of useful tools and features, we can’t deny the fact that its bland design can get boring. Even though Amazon Fire TV is built on a custom version of the popular Android operating system, it doesn’t provide access to the same customization tools as Android smartphone users benefit from. On the bright side of things, there is an alternative method to change Firestick’s basic launcher.
The launcher is the first thing that users see when they open the Amazon Fire TV, and since the design is minimalist, it’s easy to get bored with it. The user-interface uses a single-color palette, and while it doesn’t look bad, there’s nothing special about it. Here is where the Wolf Launcher comes in and provides an alternative solution. Wolf Launcher is a popular third-party app that allows Firestick users to redesign the home screen of their devices and make them look more personal.
Since Wolf Launcher is a third-party app, Firestick users are required to install and download it manually. This can be tricky if you are not tech-savvy or have enough experience with sideloading apps on Android. Don’t worry about it because we have your back! Today we will show you how to install Wolf Launcher on Firestick. That’s not all. We will also present a user guide for the launcher towards the end of the blog.
Wolf Launcher on Firestick – What Does It Have to Offer?
The question that all Firestick users must be asking right now is what does Wolf Launcher have to offer? Is it worth installing on Firestick? The answer is yes! The third-party app provides users with access to a bundle of customization options that help them get rid of the basic home screen design. In fact, users will be able to customize everything, even the tiniest icons and buttons available on Amazon Fire TV. The cool thing about the app is that it also makes it possible to remove Amazon’s sponsored apps and banners from the home screen.
One of the most significant benefits of using Wolf Launcher is that you get to save up internet data. If you are not connected to a stable Wi-Fi network and are sometimes required to connect to mobile data or a slower internet speed, you will love Wolf Launcher. The app saves a lot of data by no longer fetching sponsored videos, thumbnails, and other advertisements that Amazon Fire TV does automatically.
We also want to highlight that Wolf Launcher introduces a brand-new status bar that is fully customizable. The status bar looks and works similarly to the one used by the Android TV launcher. You can customize everything about it, starting with the background wallpaper and ending with the size of the thumbnails. You are in full control! Without any further ado, let’s go ahead and check out the installation guide.
How to Install Wolf Launcher on Firestick
As previously noted, Wolf Launcher is a third-party app. This means that the app is not available to download directly from the Amazon Appstore and that instead, users are required to sideload it on their Firestick devices. Before this is possible, users first need to enable the “Unknown Sources” option in the settings panel. Follow the guide below, and you will be able to do it in only a couple of minutes.
First Step: Enable Apps from “Unknown Sources”
Since third-party apps are not available to download from the official Firestick app store, you will need to enable the option to download them from other sources. This is how you do it:
- Access the Settings menu on your Firestick device;
- Select My Fire TV (or Device & Software if you are running an older version);
- Access the Developer options menu and enable “ADB Debugging”;
- Scroll down and select “Apps from Unknown Sources” (click Turn On to dismiss the warning);
After clicking Turn On, your Firestick device is now compatible with apps from third-parties. However, there is another thing that users are required to do before they can install APK files.
Second Step: Install Downloader
Now that your Firestick device is compatible with APK files, the second step is to install an app that can access them. The app is called Downloader, and fortunately, it is available on the official Amazon Appstore.
- Access the Search menu on your Firestick device (click the magnifier icon);
- Use the on-screen keyboard or voice commands to search for “Downloader”;
- Select the Downloader app from the drop-down list of results;
- Click on the app’s logo (it is located under the Apps & Games section);
Wait for Downloader to finish the installation setup on your Firestick and click Open. The app will ask for permission to access the Firestick internal storage space, and you need to click Allow. Now, go through the tutorials or click OK to skip them.
Third Step: Install Wolf Launcher
With the “Apps from Unknown Sources” option enabled and Downloader installed, we can go ahead and get the latest Wolf Launcher APK and sideload it. Follow the steps below:
- Access Downloader’s home page and type in the following link in the URL Field: https://bit.ly/2FKwD3f;
- Select Go to begin the download;
- When the latest Wolf Launcher APK file finishes downloading, the installer will pop up on the screen, and you need to click Install;
- Wait for the app to finish installing and click Done to dismiss the setup wizard;
- You can go ahead and delete the Wolf Launcher APK file to free up Firestick’s storage space.
Even though Wolf Launcher is installed on your Firestick device, there is one final step that we need to go through in order for the app to function properly. The launcher requires additional apps to work, and you can find an installation guide below.
Fourth Step: Additional Apps (Required for the launcher to work)
The first thing that we want to mention is that Firestick 1st and 2nd generation users will need to download and install Fire TV Settings. That’s not all. The FireTV Toolbox app is also required to be installed on a smartphone or tablet.
On the other hand, Firestick 4K users only need to use FireTV Settings and the FireTV app (it doesn’t need to be installed on a smartphone). The list below is where you will find the download links for the required apps:
- FireTV Settings: https://bit.ly/3lalWr6
- FireTV Toolbox: https://bit.ly/2YlcZBm
- FireTV Helper: https://bit.ly/2Elm4mB
Wolf Launcher on Firestick – How to Set Up Your Profile
Setting up your profile for Wolf Launcher depends on what version of Firestick you are using. Therefore, you should follow the guide below that matches your device.
#1 Firestick 4K
- Press and hold the Home button on the Firestick remote to access the quick menu, now select Apps;
- Scroll down and select FireTV Helper;
- Allow USB Debugging on Firestick and make sure to check the box located next to “Always allow from this computer” and click Ok to continue;
- The FireTV Settings app will now open. You need to select the FireTV Settings option and then click on Wolf Launcher;
- On the next screen, select Save;
- All that is left to do is access the Your Apps & Channels page, where you can press the Home button to boot directly into the new Wolf Launcher home screen.
Sidenote: You don’t have to worry about the FireTV Helper app taking up storage space on your device because it will be automatically uninstalled.
#2 Firestick 1st and 2nd Generation
- Access the Develop Options menu on Firestick and enable ADB Debugging;
- Go to the About page from My Fire TV or Device menu and click on Network;
- Copy the IP address that appears on the right side of the screen;
- Open FireTV Toolbox on your Android smartphone or tablet. Type in the IP address and select Connect;
- The option to allow USB Debugging will appear on your Firestick device. You need to check the box located next to “Always allow from this computer” and then click Ok to dismiss the warning;
- The FireTV Toolbox should now display Connected. Go ahead and click Go (to launch the FireTV Settings app on your Firestick device;
- Select the FireTV Settings option (located under Selected Launcher) and select the Wolf Launcher app from the list;
- Click Save, and you will be redirected to the Fire TV home screen;
- The final step is to press the Home button (on the Firestick remote), and the Wolf Launcher will replace the home screen.
Wolf Launcher User Guide
The options that Wolf Launcher when it first loads up might seem underwhelming but rest assured, many features are hidden. The next guide will show you how to unlock them.
- Open Downloader and download a wallpaper that you like;
- Select the Options button on the Firestick Remote;
- Now, select Launcher Settings and choose Wallpaper;
- Enable the Application Wallpaper option and then click Select Wallpaper;
- Wolf Launcher will ask for permissions, and you need to click Allow;
- Access the Downloader folder via the browser window and choose the recently downloaded wallpaper;
The new wallpaper will now be displayed on the home screen. If you want to make the home screen look even more customized, you can change the size of the app tiles. Follow the steps below:
- Access Launcher Settings and select Sections;
- Click on Applications (in the context menu);
- An adjustment overlay will now pop-up on the screen, and you can choose to toggle on or off the Application;
- You can use the Sorting option to categorize the applications;
- The Orientation and Horizontal options allow you to change the way the apps list looks;
- You can also play around with the Rows and Height values to make the home screen look better.
Another cool thing you can do with Wolf Launcher on Firestick is to hide apps from the home screen. This is rather simple to do. You only have to click on Hidden Apps (in the Launcher Settings menu) and choose the apps you don’t want to appear on the home screen.
We are also advising all Firestick users to customize the status bar. You can do this by clicking on the Status Bar option (in the Launcher Settings menu). Here is where you can find all sorts of interesting features such as the clock, date, Wi-Fi, and many others. A cool thing you can do from this menu is to group all apps and make the home screen look cleaner.
How to Restore the Default Fire TV Launcher
If you grow tired of Wolf Launcher, you should be pleased to know that it’s super easy to restore the default launcher. Open the context menu and click on Android Settings. Doing this will redirect you to the default Fire TV settings menu.
Select the Back button on the Firestick remote, and you will see the old Fire TV home screen again. You can return to the Wolf Launcher just by clicking on the Home button. If you want to get rid of Wolf Launcher, you can always choose to uninstall it.
Installing Wolf Launcher on Firestick can be tricky, but we hope our detailed step-by-step guide helped you do it. Nonetheless, let us know in the comments section below if you managed to do it or have any additional questions.