NBC is one of the most popular television channels in the United States, with over 8 million registered viewers in 2019. This number even broke the record held by CBS, which had been in first place in terms of viewership for 18 consecutive years. Considering that the National Broadcasting Company is the originator of many entertaining shows such as The Voice and Blacklist, this does not come as a big surprise. A part of their success can definitely be attributed to their streaming app, which provides their content to a wider audience.
The NBC app offers both a 24/7 live stream of the NBC channel and a diverse collection of on-demand content. This platform can be installed on a variety of Amazon devices, from Firestick and Fire TV Cube to Fire TV Edition Smart TVs and Soundbars.
If you want to get access to thousands of hours of quality TV shows and news broadcasts, you have come to the right place. Today, we will tell you everything you need to know about this service and teach you how to install and activate this app in under 10 minutes.
Overview of NBC on Firestick
NBCUniversal Media has many successful TV channels under its umbrella, such as NBC, Peacock, E!, Telemundo, Oxygen, USA Network, and Bravo. Similar to other pay-TV networks, they have created multiple TV Everywhere apps for their available channels. This includes the NBC streaming platform, which has an intuitive interface that is very easy to use.
With this app, you can easily get access to a live broadcast of the NBC channel at any hour of the day. You may also take a look at their VOD (video on demand) library to find series that are no longer on air.
A few examples of great original shows from NBC that are worth a watch are: America’s Got Talent, Brooklyn Nine-Nine, The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon, This is Us, Chicago, Good Girls, Will & Grace, Saved by the Bell, Community, Seinfield, The Good Place, and The Office.
Even though the other channels in their catalog have their own TV Everywhere apps, NBCUniversal Media chose to add original shows from all of them and include them into the NBC app as well. Therefore, you can even discover some new entertaining series from E!, Bravo, or the USA Network while scrolling through their selection.
In order to get access to all the content available on the NBC app, you will need an active TV subscription that includes this channel. You can choose from a long list of US TV providers, as long as you have NBC in your roster.
Cable-cutters will not be able to enjoy this app, but there are alternative ways to stream the National Broadcasting Company without a cable subscription. Stay tuned to discover our top four picks for Firestick.
Reasons to Install NBC on Firestick
- You can watch the NBC channel live right from your Firestick with a resolution of 720p;
- You get access to NBC’s sister channels, such as NBC News and MSNBC;
- You get unlimited access to a massive archive of original NBC shows, many of which have gained worldwide recognition for their brilliance;
- For on-demand content, NBC provides an image quality of 1080p;
- You have the option of adding Closed Captioning when watching their on-demand content;
- This is a free app, as long as you already have a US TV subscription.
Installation Guide for NBC on Firestick
Now that you have heard all about the available content on the NBC app, we are sure you are wondering how you can install it on your Fire TV device. Luckily, this app is recognized by Amazon as a trusted source.
Therefore, you can easily find it right on the Amazon Appstore available on your operating system. Follow the steps below to look for, download, and install NBC on Firestick without a hassle:
- On your home screen, click on the Search button. This option will be available in the top-left corner of your screen, represented by a magnifying glass icon
- Once you highlight this section, a keyboard will appear on the screen. You can make use of it to type NBC in the search bar. Alternatively, you can use the voice search option by pressing the microphone button on your remote
- From the search suggestion that appears on your screen, choose the one that says NBC
- Now, you will be met with a few search results, including an Apps & Games section. Here is where you will find the NBC app that has the famous colorful logo, as seen in the image below
- Select this app to open its description page. Look for a Get or Download button and click on it to start the installation process.
Once the app is successfully installed, you can click on the Open button to launch it right then and there. Afterward, you can look for it in the complete list of apps on your Firestick called Your Apps & Channels.
This menu can be accessed from your Fire TV Home Screen, and it should include NBC as well. In case you do not see it in the first results, you can select See All and modify the list for easier access.
Activation Guide for NBC on Firestick
As we have already mentioned, all TV Everywhere apps require an active US TV subscription. This includes the NBC app. Fortunately, the activation process is not difficult, and it should take you less than a couple of minutes.
We recommend you prepare the account credentials from your TV provider beforehand, as well as a smartphone or computer with a browser app open. Here are the steps you need to follow:
- Use one of the methods described above to launch the NBC app
- On the home screen, look for a More section. Once you open this menu, you will need to click on My Profile
- On this new page, click on Sign In to link your TV subscription account to your app. You will be prompted with a unique activation code generated for your device
- On the secondary device you have prepared, visit the Activation page on the NBCUniversal Media website
- Insert the code from your Firestick app and select Continue;
- On the next webpage, you will see two options: either sign in with an already created NBCUniversal Profile or Sign Up for one;
- Assuming that you chose to create a new account, you can select Sign Up with Email next;
- Click Sign Up to finalize the account creation process;
- After you have signed up to NBCUniversal, you will need to click on Yes to choose your TV provider;
- The website will redirect you to your TV provider’s login page, where you can use your credentials to sign in to your account. Once you are logged into both accounts, the NBC app is ready for use!
How to Navigate NBC on Firestick
Since you are all set to watch NBC content on your Firestick, let us walk you through the navigation on the TV Everywhere interface. After you activate your account, the app will redirect you to their homepage, where you will see a few featured shows from the network.
On Home, you are able to scroll down to see recommendations, which will become tuned to your preferences once you watch a few shows. Here is also where you can pick up any series or movie that you left unfinished.
The next menu available on the screen is Shows. As straightforward as its name sounds, this is where you can find a complete list of all the on-demand content available on the NBC app. You can choose to see the list in alphabetical order by choosing A-Z, or you can scroll through by category. Whether you are interested in Popular content at the moment, Movies, News, Reality, Drama, or Comedy content, you will find plenty of entertaining shows in their library.
If you are not interested in a binge-watching session, then you can move on to see what is currently airing on the NBC channel. You can see the live broadcast by pressing on the LIVE section. This page is also equipped with a complete schedule for NBC and its sister channels.
People interested in having subtitles with their on-demand content can click on the CC button available in the video player. This is a great accessibility feature that is included with most TV Everywhere apps.
Alternatives to Watch NBC Live on Firestick
In case you are interested in streaming the NBC channel but are not willing to get a cable subscription, there are still some alternatives perfect for Firestick. However, keep in mind that none of these services are free of charge, and they include other content aside from the NBC channel as well.
The good news is that all of these apps are available in the Amazon Appstore. Therefore, the installation process is very similar to the one presented in today’s tutorial. Let us tell you more about them.
FuboTV has been gaining popularity in recent years because of its responsive interface and the large package of channels provided. By paying for the Standard plan, you can get access to over 100 channels, including NBC and other networks from NBCUniversal media.
In case one of your favorite shows airs at a time when you are at work, you can easily record it using the 30 hours of cloud DVR storage provided by FuboTV. The price for the Standard plan is $59.99 per month, which is cheaper than most cable and satellite TV subscriptions.
If you are only interested in NBC and would not mind a smaller portfolio of channels, Sling is the app for you. The Sling Blue package is priced at only $30 per month, and it contains a respectable amount of 50+ TV channels. You will not be cutting down on NBCUniversal content by choosing this app, as Sling Blue also contains SYFY, E!, USA Network, and Bravo.
In their on-demand library, you will find NBC content from the last few days, so you can easily catch up on all of your favorite TV shows. People sharing their subscriptions with family and friends will be happy to know that Sling offers simultaneous streaming on three devices at once.
Another aspect that we like about the Sling subscription is that they offer $10 off the first month so that you can get a taste of their content at a discounted price.
Hulu + Live TV
If you are interested in more content than live TV broadcasts, you can also take into account a plan like Hulu + Live TV. This package includes all the original content from the popular streaming platform Hulu, as well as live TV channels that include NBC and its subsidiary channels. This plan is priced at $54.99 per month.
Last but not least, we like the plan provided by YouTube for live TV streaming as well. If you choose YouTube TV, you will have to pay a subscription of $64.99 per month to get access to over 60 US TV channels. Their selection is quite different from other online live TV providers, so we definitely recommend checking out their roster before making your decision.
Another plus of this service is that you have unlimited cloud storage for recording channels so that you can DVR your favorite shows without any worry. Much like on Sling, YouTube TV provides an on-demand library with select NBC content included. The feature for simultaneous streaming is also available for up to three devices.
NBC is a well-regarded TV network that has topped viewership charts for years. Considering there are so many options for streaming their content, all that Firestick users have to do is choose. The official NBC app based on the TV Everywhere interface requires a US cable subscription, but there are also alternative streaming apps for cord-cutters. In today’s article, you have a full guide on installing and activating NBC for Firestick, as well as short descriptions of our top alternative apps. Take your pick and start streaming your favorite show in the blink of an eye!